Visa Requirements to Canada: Learn the Simple Truth on How to Come to Canada


You may be considering a trip to Canada and you want to know the best way for you to come here. If you are planning on coming to Canada as a tourist, then chances are that your visit will be relatively simple. However, if you are planning on staying in Canada permanently or applying for citizenship, then it’s important to get the right visa before arriving at the border.

Canada offers many different types of visas with many different requirements. One thing is for sure: There is no one-size-fits-all visa when it comes to visiting Canada. This article will outline the steps required for applying for a Canadian visa, as well as provide some insight into which category you should apply under.


Visa Requirements to Canada

This is an overview of the Canadian visa requirements:

  • A visa can’t be issued for longer than six months.
  • You must have a medical exam, a police certificate and proof of adequate financial support.
  • You need to provide your personal information on the application form.
  • You should be able to demonstrate sufficient funds for your stay in Canada.
  • If you are planning to work in Canada, you may also need a work permit from the Canadian government.

The Simple Truth on How to Come to Canada

There are two simple documents you’ll need to bring with you to the border on your first day in Canada.

First, you will need your passport and second, you will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). If you need a visa for Canada and aren’t sure exactly which category it falls under, then the eTA is a one-time document that allows visitors from certain countries to enter without a visa.

The requirements for the eTA vary depending on what type of visa you’re applying for. Here’s a list of some of them:

Apply for a Permanent Resident Visa

You have a number of options when it comes to applying for a Canadian visa. The first and most common type of visa is the Permanent Resident Visa. This visa category has the broadest range of eligibility requirements, but also provides you with the most options for your future in Canada. You may qualify for this visa if you:

  • Have an offer of employment from a Canadian employer;
  • Are married to, or are in a committed relationship with someone who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
  • Are related to someone who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (spouse, parent, grandparent etc);
  • Have sponsored another individual to immigrate to Canada.

Please note that this list is not exhaustive and there may be other categories available as well. For more information on what visas are available and how to apply, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration website.

Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa

If you are visiting Canada temporarily, then the most straightforward and least complicated visa to apply for is the Temporary Resident Visa. The temporary resident visa is typically granted to people who want to visit Canada for tourism or business purposes. To be eligible for a temporary resident visa, the applicant must meet all of the requirements outlined by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). These include the following:

  • The applicant has adequate funds in their bank account.
  • The applicant has enough money in their bank account to cover their stay.
  • The applicant can provide evidence that they have health insurance.
  • There are no criminal convictions on file.
  • The applicant does not need to be sponsored by a company or individual.
  • The applicant does not need a work permit.
  • The applicant does not need a study permit.

With these requirements met, individuals will be able to apply for a temporary resident visa at any Canadian embassy or consulate abroad. At this time, it takes anywhere from four to eight weeks for an application to process. Once approved, applicants will receive their permanent resident card before leaving Canada. If you are granted a temporary resident visa, then your stay in Canada will last between

Apply for an Occupational or Study Permit

If you are planning to come to Canada as a visitor, then you should apply for an occupation or study permit. These two types of permits are considered the most common types of Canadian visas.

The application process for these two types of permits is similar, but there are a few key differences. An occupation or study permit doesn’t require you to show any evidence that you have local support when applying for your visa. On the other hand, an entry visa requires that you prove that you will have sufficient means of subsisting in Canada while applying for your visa.


If you need help figuring out which category applies to your situation and what type of visa will best suit your needs, please feel free to get in touch with us at any time. We’ll be happy to help!


A Temporary Resident Visa is a good option if you are coming to Canada for a short-term study or visit and want to return home at the end of your trip. It is also a good option if you are going to be in Canada for a long period of time and plan to study or work.

If you are coming for a job, you will need an occupational or study permit. For more information on the process and requirements, visit the Government of Canada website.

error: Content is protected !!